Animals are great for our health. Studies of the human-animal bond prove this fact over and over again. So, for 2014, here’s a list of 14 ways that animals improve our health & wellness. Animals;
1) Lower our blood pressure
2) Lower our blood levels of cholesterol
3) Help us get more exercise
4) Increase our social interaction
5) Lower our blood triglyceride levels
6) Decrease feelings of isolation and loneliness
7) Lessen the risk of allergies and asthma in children raised with pets during the child’s first year of life
8) Help us retain cognitive function even in the face of aging
9) Increase levels of serotonin and dopamine which improve our moods
10) Increase levels of prolactin and oxytocin which make us feel nurtured and secure
11) Teach children empathy and responsibility
12) Shorten hospital stays versus those people without pets
13) Lead to fewer doctor visits than for people without pets
14) Alert us to health problems so we can get help. In 2010, my cat hissed at my abdomen and then tried to cover me with a sheet. Because of Tigre, I went in and had a traditional CAT scan (CT). A week later, I was in the hospital starting chemo for a rare form of cancer – double hit lymphoma. The chemo was successful and today I am cancer-free thanks to a little orange, shelter cat!
As a speaker, I talk about Wellness and the science and terrific stories behind this list. If I can speak to your company, clients or group, please reach out. My phone if (480) 236-1841 and e-mail is email@example.com. You can learn more about my talk and see a short demo video at http://www.fsspeakers.net/index.php?mode=speaker&sid=34. Look for the talk titled “Embrace Animals To Improve Your Life, Love & Health”.
If you would like the citations for the scientific studies that support the above list of findings, please post a comment to this site. I will be happy to send them to you.