Pictured below is a magnificent arrangement of flowers. Although the flowers are beautiful, one type is highly toxic to cats. Which flower is poisonous? What are the symptoms of toxicity?
Diagnosis: Lily (Lilium and Hemerocallis species)
Lilies from the Lilium and Hemerocallis species contain a toxin that causes renal diease in cats. (The two orange flowers with brown spots on their long, broad petals.) Initially, affected individuals are anorexic and listless. As their condition worsens, vomiting and diarrhea often develop. Without treatment, most will develop renal failure in one to three days. If you think your pet got into a lily, even the pollen, get veterinary help immediately. With early diagnosis and aggressive treatment, most cats will recover from lily toxicity.
Brutlag, Ahna. From the Planter to the Carpet: Toxic Plants and the Small Animal Patient. Western Veterinary Conference 2010.