Plastic Bags Are Hazardous To Pets

It is common sense I suppose, but seeing one of my little rascals in this bag prompted me to write this reminder.  Plastic bags are hazardous to pets just as they are for children.  The risk of suffocation is obvious.  Suffocation can happen so quickly.  In addition, animals are fond of swallowing any number of items.  I once did surgery to remove a diamond ring from a cat’s stomach.  At least that owner had a profit on the procedure!  I also had a dog swallow six pairs of surgical gloves used by the owner on his ostomy bag.  One of our cats loves to stand at my husband’s feet when he takes the plastic wrappers off the dry cleaned shirts.  Now we keep him out of the room.  This cat can not help himself from lunging headfirst into the pile of bags like we did as kids in Minnesota when the fall leaves were raked into a huge mound. 

Published by kristennelsondvm

Dr. Kristen Nelson grew up on a farm in Watertown, Minn., where she developed a deep love for animals of all kinds. She received a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from the University of Minnesota, College of Veterinary Medicine. Kris then completed a small-animal internship at the prestigious Animal Medical Center in New York City. In addition to writing and speaking, she cares for small and exotic animals in Scottsdale, Az. Dr. Nelson is widely quoted in the media. Her credits include Ladies’ Home Journal, USA TODAY, the Los Angeles Times and numerous radio and television interviews. Dr. Nelson has written two books, Coated With Fur: A Vet’s Life and Coated With Fur: A Blind Cat’s Love. Kris and her husband Steve share their home with rescued cats, birds and a dog.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.