Plastic Bags Are Dangerous To Pets And Children

Many plastic bags come with a printed warning “May cause suffocation in children.”  I wish this warning also included animals.  If you use plastic bags, please store and dispose of them properly and promptly.  Each year animals, pets and wildlife die after encountering these bags.  Some die of suffocation if they crawl inside while others die of gastrointestinal obstructions after eating them.  Either way, it is a horrible death.  The picture below shows what we as pet owners must never let happen.  

Also just as a reminder, please wash cloth bags between grocery store runs.  The bags may become contaminated with bacteria from raw foods and cause illness. You may also wish to separate meat and poultry items into a separate bag from perishables.      

Published by kristennelsondvm

Dr. Kristen Nelson grew up on a farm in Watertown, Minn., where she developed a deep love for animals of all kinds. She received a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from the University of Minnesota, College of Veterinary Medicine. Kris then completed a small-animal internship at the prestigious Animal Medical Center in New York City. In addition to writing and speaking, she cares for small and exotic animals in Scottsdale, Az. Dr. Nelson is widely quoted in the media. Her credits include Ladies’ Home Journal, USA TODAY, the Los Angeles Times and numerous radio and television interviews. Dr. Nelson has written two books, Coated With Fur: A Vet’s Life and Coated With Fur: A Blind Cat’s Love. Kris and her husband Steve share their home with rescued cats, birds and a dog.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.