Texas Mountain Laurel Is Toxic To Animals

                                    

The Texas Mountain Laurel is a popular plant because of its purple flowers and artificial grape smell.  Unfortunately, the entire plant is toxic to animals.  The plant contains grayanotoxin, a toxin that binds to sodium channels in cell membranes and changes the permeability.  It affects the nervous system as well as skeletal and cardiac muscle.  Common symptoms of poison ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, profuse salivation,  weakness, impaired vision and a slow heart rate.  Please seek veterinary care for livestock or pets that come into contact with this plant immediately.  This plant is very toxic.  Don’t let the beautiful flowers and sweet smell fool you.   

Reference:
Puschner, B. “Intoxication With cardiotoxic Plants” ACVIM 2007,

 

Published by kristennelsondvm

Dr. Kristen Nelson grew up on a farm in Watertown, Minn., where she developed a deep love for animals of all kinds. She received a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from the University of Minnesota, College of Veterinary Medicine. Kris then completed a small-animal internship at the prestigious Animal Medical Center in New York City. In addition to writing and speaking, she cares for small and exotic animals in Scottsdale, Az. Dr. Nelson is widely quoted in the media. Her credits include Ladies’ Home Journal, USA TODAY, the Los Angeles Times and numerous radio and television interviews. Dr. Nelson has written two books, Coated With Fur: A Vet’s Life and Coated With Fur: A Blind Cat’s Love. Kris and her husband Steve share their home with rescued cats, birds and a dog.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.